.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday Flashback

From December 2002:


The Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas. Western historical romance.








It's been a long time since I've read a Western historical romance. Didn't they used to be more common? Seems like they've been replaced by Regencies in popularity lately. Anyway, it was a nice change of pace, and a fun story. I never watched many Westerns on TV (well, except the Wild Wild West, but somehow I don't think that's quite the same.)---if they were anything like this story, though, I missed out on quite a lot!

I wasn't sure what to expect from the beginning of the story---at first I was expecting the drifter to end up being a rough-around-the-edges cowboy who'd end up just needing the right woman to tame him. Have I mentioned I don't read the backs of books so as not to prejudice my reading of the story? Boy, was I wrong! I liked the teamwork between the 3 women---all of them taking a whack so that Bailee wouldn't be the only one guilty of murder.

I really felt for the sheriff. He had his hands full with 3 women confessing to murder, and a town full of single men. The lottery was inspired.

Once again, I wasn't sure what to expect from Carter. He took me by surprise with his silence. I was thinking macho, strong silent type. Well, he was strong and silent, but not because of being macho. Once I started understanding him better, I just wanted to give him a hug. Awwwwww....

Loved the sign language parts--I'm picturing Bailee learning it and them using it quite frequently. And his thoughts about wanting the first thing he said to his wife to be something special nearly made me cry.

Bailee really stirred up his life, and, as in the best romances, they both saved each other. The gypsies were just hilarious. I loved how he accepted their presence for her.

Another thing that surprised me was Carter's secret room---I thought he'd end up telling Bailee about it eventually, but too late, and that she'd be hurt and upset with him, etc. I'm really glad it didn't turn out that way.

I'm also glad we got the little teaser for Sarah's story at the end---I'd been worrying about her, and I'm eagerly awaiting it. Too bad there wasn't a title attached.
You can read the entire thread here.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?