.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, October 16, 2009

Friday Flashback

From June 2003:


Coffee and Kung Fu by Karen Brichoux. Chick lit.









The cover of this book say it's a debut novel. So I thought I'd read it with a kind eye. I didn't have to. In fact, I had to force myself to put it down a couple of times.

And now I'm not quite sure what to say--so many things are going on in this book.

Nicci seems to be like any other 20-something single, dealing with work, dating, and family. And like others, she's not quite satisfied. Through the events in the book, she begins to realize who she is and what she wants out of life.

It sounds pretty ordinary, describing the plot like that. But what makes
Coffee and Kung Fu special is the characters. Nicci, of course, with her habit of judging dates by the type of movie they like, but also the large cast of secondary characters, from her friend Carol to the mysterious guy at the coffee shop. They're all very vivid and three-dimensional.

I enjoyed the snippets from Jackie Chan movies that Nicci uses to illustrate greater truths. I'm really feeling the urge to watch some Jackie Chan movies.

Coffee and Kung Fu is a perfect title for this book, even though Nicci doesn't drink coffee. The coffee shop and kung fu movies are the two things Nicci can count on while everything else is crashing in on her.
You can read the entire thread, including a conversation with the author, here.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?