.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, August 30, 2009

No True Gentleman


**** No True Gentleman by Liz Carlyle. Historical romance.









This book came free with my e-reader, so I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's a historical romance, but it's also a murder mystery.

Lady Catherine Wodeway is a widow. She meets Maximilian de Rohan, a former Bow Street runner and police detective who now works for the Home Office when he kisses her to preserve his cover. It's a cliche--the kiss to make the bad guy think the detective is wrapped up in a love rather than spying on him. If I were a bad guy, I'd be really suspicious of kissing couples.

Despite the cliched meet, No True Gentleman was an engaging story. So often in romantic suspense, the mystery gets short shrift. No so, here. The mystery was as fully developed and logical as the romance.

I've since bought more books by Liz Carlyle. I have high hopes for them.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Max is one of my favourite Carlyle heroes, and he pops up in a few of the later books as well.

I don't think that Carlyle is as good as she used to be, but those early books that I have read were really very good.
 
That's what several people have said--that her early books were her best. So I've been picking up her backlist here and there.

Nice to know Max shows up again--I really liked him.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?