.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, August 31, 2009

The Bachelor


*** The Bachelor by Carly Phillips. Contemporary romance.









This had been in my TBR pile for a while--I'm not sure why I bought it. I really disliked the only other story I've read by this author, but I'm pretty sure I bought this before reading that story.

The premise was the first problem: the Chandler brothers' mother feigns a weak heart and tells her sons her one desire is to have a grandchild. Roman loses the coin toss, so he has to get married and impregnate his wife a.s.a.p. I've read and enjoyed plenty of matchmaking mamas, but nobody made any sense in this one. Maybe I'm an unusual parent, but I'd rather my kids remained single than marry the first person who'll have them. And I can understand the sons' concern for their mother, but I just couldn't buy their response.

I'd have gotten over that--give me an excuse and I'll happily suspend disbelief--if there had been some real emotion between Roman and Charlotte, his high school sweetheart. There could have been a good story there, and I was looking for it, because reunited lovers is one of my favorite romance plots. But it simply wasn't there.

Instead of real emotion, there were simple jokes. Some of which, granted, were pretty amusing--hence the three stars.

Bottom line, The Bachelor is passable for a quick read if you don't expect much. And sometimes you really don't want much. For me, it would have been just right for a time when I'm tired and stressed out.

Another plus: it illustrates just how difficult it is to write truly good romantic comedy, and makes me appreciate Crusie and SEP that much more.



Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I honestly read this book a very LONG time ago, and while reading your review sorta remind me the premise of the book, I do remember thinking the book was so-so okay. I can't remember why though. But I don't think it made me to quickly get the 2nd book of the trilogy :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?