.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, April 01, 2009

TBR Challenge for August

Once again, I'm ludicrously behind. I did read the book during August--I just hadn't gotten around to posting about it yet.

The TBR Challenge for August 2008 was to read a book by an author with 3 names.

Examples from my shelves:
Cordelia's Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold
Another Scandal in Bohemia by Carole Nelson Douglas
True Colors by Jayne Ann Krentz
(#16)

I chose:



**** Trading Places by Ruth Jean Dale. Contemporary romance.









I have no idea why this 2001 book was in my TBR pile. Usually, category romances only get in my TBR pile for three reason: 1) if they're by an author I already read, 2) if someone's recommended them, or 3) the author wrote for Berkley/Jove or NAL (I went through a streak of buying a bunch of earlier books by the B/J and NAL authors to familiarize myself with them). I can't find evidence that any of these was the case. So, it's a mystery. Good thing I had the TBR challenge, because otherwise, this book might have languished even longer in the TBR pile.

Alice Wynn works for glamorous celebrity Sharlayne Kenyon (I don't know about you, but boy, did I have trouble not reading this as "Sherrilyn Kenyon"!), and her job has just become stranger... and more dangerous. Seems Sharlayne has decided to write her memoirs, and there are a lot of people out there who object to what she might write. Since she and Alice share a certain resemblance, she makes Alice a too-good-to-be-true offer: enough money to pay off her debts from her grandmother's hospital bills and then some, in exchange for Alice masquerading as Sharlayne so that Sharlayne can write her memoirs in peace.

There's danger from the aforementioned people who object to the memoirs, and danger of a quite different kind from Sharlayne's bodyguard Jed Kelby. And there's Tabitha Thomas, the strangely bitter dragon-lady of an assistant to Sharlayne.

It's a story that's been done before, but it was engaging nonetheless. Even though the plot was unsurprising, the characters rang true, and I enjoyed watching Alice struggle with living Sharlayne's life, and Jed figuring out her identity. Tabitha, too, was an interesting character--I went from thoroughly disliking her to a grudging admiration.

I see that Ruth Jean Dale now writes as Lee Duran. I'll have to keep an eye open for books by either pseudonym.


If you participate in the TBR challenge, leave a comment to let us know what you read, the author's name, how you liked it, and how long it had been in your TBR pile.


Categories: , , ,

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I never read book by Ruth Jean Dale before. But I just had to say that TRADING PLACES sound like NR's GENUINE LIES, doesn't it? Okay not quite but almost ;)

Great review!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?