.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 06, 2009

Friday Flashback

From May 2003:


The Steel Caress by Jessica Hall. Romantic suspense.









I loved The Steel Caress. I've always liked spy stories, ever since reading The Scarlet Pimpernel as a kid, and combining it with romance, well, what could be better?

Adding the Army in there was a nice bonus, too. My husband is an Army officer, and I have an affection for the Army in general. (er.. no pun intended.)

The spy adventure was exciting, and kept me turning pages to see what would happen next, and the romance was my favorite kind: the kind where I can't imagine how these two characters can possibly overcome the obstacles in their path and end up together.

Raven and Kalen had worked together and been lovers in the past, but something went wrong on Raven's last assignment. She was shot in the face, and left for dead. Believing Kalen had betrayed her, and not knowing who to trust, she left her old life behind with her old face. After recovering and extensive plastic surgery, she became a world-famous fashion model.

Then a case brings them back together, forcing them to face the past and rekindling old flames. A jealous rival who thinks she should be the one working and living side by side with the general and the little fact that Raven is actually AWOL make it even more unlikely that these two will manage a happy-ever-after ending.

The characters in this story are very real--their actions and emotions seemed very true to life. The Steel Caress kept me on the edge of my seat. My only complaint is that I didn't discover this author sooner. I'll be looking for the previous book in this series, The Deepest Edge, and looking forward to the next, The Kissing Blades.
Originally posted here.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
WOW, if I have known about this book -- I would have pick it up 7 years ago!

The book sound good, thanks for your great review! I may check this one out. Have you read some of her recent books? Any recommend from there?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?