.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nerd Gone Wild


**½ Nerd Gone Wild by Vicki Lewis Thompson. Contemporary romance.









Well, I think I've decided that this series is not for me. Which is a shame. I was hoping for super-intelligent heroes, and while I dimly remember the hero of the first book being intelligent (I read it before I started writing about the books I read), there wasn't much intelligence evident in the hero of The Nerd Who Loved Me, and in this one, the hero is only disguised as a nerd. What could have been a very nice niche series that was actually different is just mediocre contemporary romance.

Ally Jarrett has just inherited a fortune from her grandmother, and along with that fortune comes her grandmother's nerdy employee, Mitchell J. Caruthers, Jr. Unbeknownst to Ally, her grandmother hired him as a bodyguard to protect Ally from fortune hunters, but she stipulated that it was to remain a secret. So Mitch is in disguise as a financial whiz and has to come up with excuses to stay close to Ally.

Ally goes up to a small town in Alaska to pursue a dream of becoming a wildlife photographer, prompted by covert correspondence with the uncle her grandmother refused to speak to. Of course, the uncle is after her money, and he's assisted and prodded by his dominatrix-girlfriend, who's posing as a famous but reclusive wildlife photographer willing to give Ally a few pointers.

It's all very predictable. The cast of small-town-Alaska inhabitants is quirky but flat. Mitch's disguise seems to consist of an ugly orange parka and clear glasses. There's interminable back and forth between Ally and Mitch over whether she wants to sleep with him or not. And the romance consists of physical attraction and not much else. It takes everyone far too long to figure out that the photographer is an impostor. The humor seems contrived.

I really did have high hopes for this series, but instead it seems to subscribe to the notion that brains are boring. I can't be the only one who finds intelligence sexy. But you couldn't prove it by this series.

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Hmmm, I've been debating whether to read this series for the longest time now. I've seen good and bad reviews on these series.

Still..I dunno yet. I'm gonna have to pick up one eventually and test the water :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?