.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday Flashback

From August 2002:


Isle of Skye by Constance Hall. Gothic romance.









Isle of Skye really took me back---not just in history, but to many years ago, before I read "romance". I didn't read romance, but gothics, like Victoria Holt's books, were guilty pleasures. I'm not sure if this fits a strict definition of a gothic, but that's how it felt to me, & I just devoured it.

A haunted castle, a family curse, suspicion everywhere, a tormented hero who's vowed to avoid love, and a smart, brave heroine who saves them all. Quite possibly my favorite type of comfort read.

I liked the search for Avalon, and the Arthurian quest of Regan & her father.

I did suspect Tyg at first, then decided he couldn't be the bad guy because he was too obvious, & because he was so devoted to Quin. I suspected Gillis the longest, & never ever suspected who actually was the bad guy, or his accomplice. (Trying not to give anything away here. )

Lachlan's mother's diary was heartbreaking. I felt so sorry for those boys.

Emma was intriguing. It's probably just that I'm used to series, but I'd like to read more about her as well.
You can read the entire discussion thread here.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?