.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Now That We've Found You


***½ Now That We've Found You by Marianne Arkins. Contemporary romance.








This is the first ebook I read on my new ebook reader--appropriately, because it was the first one I bought, quite some time ago. I'd intended to read it on the computer, but that didn't turn out well. I do enough beta reading at the computer that it's a chore to do pleasure reading there as well.

Widow Sarah Kirkman has been uninterested in other men since her husband's death, focusing instead on her daughter Melinda. They meet Dr. Duncan MacPherson, a Scottish paleontologist, on a visit to the Smithsonian, and all three hit it off immediately. But Duncan has to go back to Scotland the next day.

This is a very sweet story, and very romantic, in a way that, oddly enough, you don't see that often in romance novels. I can't explain what I mean by that, other than to say that it's the kind of story that makes you sigh (and not in a bad way).

Duncan is sweet and kind to Melinda, and attracted to Sarah. Sarah's attracted to Duncan as well, and appreciative of his attention to her daughter, but she's understandably more cautious, realizing that nothing can come of the attraction with an ocean separating them.

I did like that they didn't make life-altering decisions immediately, but I still had trouble believing that they'd fallen in love in one day, and
wasn't sure I could believe that they were motivated to pursue the relationship on such short acquaintance. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm not going to explain how they work things out (it's romance--it's not a spoiler to say that they do eventually work things out), but because I'm not a fan of love-at-first-sight, I'd have liked to see a little more of what went on between the meeting and the climax.

Still, for 17 pages (only 17!), it's a wonderful story, and, as I said, very romantic.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?