.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, April 04, 2008

Friday Flashback

From April, 2002:


Runaway Bay by Lisa Hendrix. Contemporary romance.









Gush alert!

You've been warned. I'm going to gush about this book---I can't help it. I loved Runaway Bay.

Jackie is great. She's decided to change her life, and she does. Wonderful twist there when she's afraid she's making changes because she's competing with Reade and wants to impress him. I was right there with her when she wears the dress and doesn't pin the cleavage closed. And all the other times she digs deep for that bravery. And she solves her problem herself---Reade doesn't jump in and make everything all better for her. She's fabulous. And OMG, I cannot tell you how happy I am that this is one heroine who's not concerned that she's too thin! Oh, and did I mention I love brainy heroines?

And heck, I like Reade too. Stifled because he's enabling his mom to manipulate him. He starts off the book respecting Jackie, but not liking her instead of the other way around, so he's already ahead of the game.

So many fun bits I can't begin to list them all. Reade's reaction to his mom's romance novel. LOL! (btw, I liked how you snuck in the difference between the stereotype of romance novels and the reality.) And Jackie's ongoing struggle with the airline about her clothes, and then when she finally gets them, they're not at all what she wanted---just perfect.

Mom was good too. I liked that she had been adventurous before her husband died. I thought her reaction to Farley's observation was very realistic. Anger first, and denial, then she sees the accuracy and takes responsibility for it. It made me really like her.


You can read the entire thread, including a discussion with the author, here.

By the way, Lisa is working on a new paranormal series involving Vikings--she's chatting about it here. Go ask her questions!


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?