.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 06, 2008

TBR Challenge for March

For March, read a book with a bird on the cover.

Examples from my shelves:
The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara: Ilse Witch by Terry Brooks (an eagle, I presume)
The Phoenix Guards by Steven Brust (a phoenix, duh)
Trouble in Paradise by Robert B. Parker (a flamingo)

I chose:


***** Potshot by Robert B. Parker. Mystery.









I know I said I was going to start reading these in order--and I did buy The Godwulf Manuscript, the first book in the Spenser series, but there were very few books with birds on them in my TBR pile, and I just couldn't resist it.

Potshot takes Spenser out of Boston--to Potshot, Arizona, a small town that was on its way to becoming a haven for the wealthy and disaffected, until a gang called the Dell moved in, led by a man known as Preacher.

Mary Lou Buckman, resident of Potshot, formerly of L.A., consults Spenser to solve the murder of her husband Steve. She tells him it was a member of the Dell, but everyone's too frightened of them to talk. Once Spenser arrives and starts poking around, several of the civic leaders of Potshot propose hiring him to rid the town of the Dell since the police can't/won't do anything about it.

So Spenser rounds up a half dozen shooters of his own, starting with Hawk, of course, and proceeds to clean up the town with his usual style.

This is one of the drawbacks of not reading in order--all of the hired guns have shown up in previous books, but I only recognized a couple of them. I'd like to say that once I have the entire series, I'll sit down and reread them all in order, but then I look at my TBR pile and it doesn't seem likely. Ah, well.

I absolutely love Spenser and Hawk, and it's just a pleasure watching them at work. I really don't have anything more to say about this than that--the solution to who killed Steve Buckman and why was clever, and the shifting alliances were interesting, but it's all an excuse to hang out with Spenser and Hawk for a while. I should possibly give this a half star less, since the adventure didn't involve any changes in Spenser's personal life--his relationship with Susan seems solid and happy--but I enjoyed it too much anyway.




As always, if you want to play, let us know what you read, how it fit the challenge, how you liked it, and how long it had been in your TBR pile.


Categories: , , ,

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?