.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Flashback

From June 2002:


The Villa by Nora Roberts. Romantic suspense. Re-read.









I think Nora outdid herself with the villains in this book. There were (counting on my fingers here) 5 people I absolutely hated, and none of them was the Big Bad! The three women: Gina, Rene, & Kris, were just horrible. Impossible to sympathize with any of them.

The heroines made up for it, though. I loved Pilar. Anyone know how to pronounce "Pilar", btw? I really felt for her, realizing her marriage had been over for years, dealing with Rene, being thrown into a low-level corporate position she had no interest or talent for and feeling like a failure at that, feeling shy and hesitant about her first new lover in 30 years, and having that new lover tell her she's wasting her time in the job she's already frustrated with---then turning it all around and finding her strengths.

Sophia used casual sex and immersion in work as a way to avoid intimacy because she'd been scarred by her father. I had trouble warming up to her until I realized that.

Tereza, the matriarch. Reminded me of my husband's grandmother, whose name, coincidentally, was Theresa.

And the surprise at the end... I'm not going to mention it in case someone reads this who hasn't read the book yet, but it's a doozie!

It was nice to have the excuse to reread this one.

You can read the entire discussion
here.

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I admit that The Villa is my least favorite of Nora. Even though it does had it great scenes moments :)

It been awful long time, since I read this book so...I weren't remember every details of what happen.
 
This is one of my favorites of hers. I've re-read it several times and always enjoy it. I liked that there were various relationships going on and many surprises throughout the book.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?