.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Diva's Guide to Selling Your Soul


***½ The Diva's Guide to Selling Your Soul by Kathleen O'Reilly. Paranormal chick lit.









This is the story of V, who's sold her soul to the devil and is now thin, gorgeous, and successful. But selling your soul doesn't just come with benefits--it's also a pyramid scheme, and in order to get more powers, you have to recruit more souls, and V is starting to have second thoughts. And of course there's a guy involved.

It's a story with huge promise, but for me, it just didn't live up to it. What there was of the story was witty and clever, but I wanted more. For one thing, I wanted to know more about the negative consequences of not having a soul. And I'd have liked to learn more about the levels. Too, it seemed as though the devil was just giving and taking away levels almost at random, and while that could very well be consistent with the devil's personality, I want to see that.

Basically, I'd have liked an extra 50 pages or so of explanations and motivations and thoughts, or for those that are there to be more in depth. It's a story with depth that's told on the surface, and as such, it's a fun fast read, but I find myself a bit frustrated because it could have been so much more.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?