.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, December 21, 2007

Friday Flashback

Another one from January 2002:


Broken Honor by Patricia Potter. Romantic suspense.









OMG, a hero who's an Army Lieutenant Colonel! I have one of those right here! Very cool.

Broken Honor
has a lot of the elements I really enjoy---the military hero, the mystery from the past, and a couple that at first glance would seem to be completely wrong for each other.

I loved watching Amy & Irish overcome their pasts & prejudices to make a future together.

The military details were pretty accurate, which I appreciated. Nice not to have 25-year-old colonels or privates who are tops in their field (so why haven't they been promoted??) or sergeants who are rolling in $$. Only one big discrepancy I could see---the 'bad guy' was supposedly able to get Irish a promotion out of the blue. Not gonna happen. Promotion boards occur once a year, then the list has to be approved by everybody all the way up to congress. So I didn't buy that, but orders to Hawaii, that was reasonable.

I don't want to say too much about the mystery, but it was interesting seeing how what happened in the past carried through to the future, & watching the threads weave together to form a whole story.

The secondary romance with the cousins was fairly daring, I thought, & well done. Dustin & Sally started out as mildly unlikeable, but gained my sympathy as I got to know them better. In love with each other, but avoiding it, & feeling guilty about it because they're cousins. Could have had a whole story about these two, although I suspect the cousins bit would squick a lot of readers, so perhaps they're better off as supporting cast.

I especially liked how Amy reacted to the dangerous situations---she wasn't TSTL (Too Stupid To Live), but she didn't have a sideline of hand-to-hand combat along with her history degree, either. She behaved the way an intelligent woman without fighting experience would behave.

All in all, I really enjoyed Broken Honor.

This was originally posted here.


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?