.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 16, 2007

Megan's Mate


**** Megan's Mate by Nora Roberts. Contemporary romance. Re-read.







This is the 5th book in the Calhoun series--one that was added on after the original four.

Accountant Megan O'Riley is doubly connected to the Calhoun sisters: her brother Sloan is married to Amanda, and her son is half-brother to Suzanna's children. They invite her to come to the Towers and work as the accountant for the hotel. When she arrives, she meets Nathaniel Fury, Suzanna's husband's longtime friend and partner.

I found it very amazing that Suzanna welcomed Megan into the family. Not that Suzanna didn't blame Megan, because I understand that, but it just seemed like it would be so awkward.

One thing that stuck with me (oh, no---Darla's going to complain again!) was that the first time Megan saw Nate, she immediately assumed that HE assumed that she was an unwed mother and therefore a slut and therefore easy pickings. HUH?? He didn't do anything to make her think that. And really, there are so many single mothers around, why would anyone assume anything bad about her? So that kind of colored my impression of Megan.

I'm not real fond of the stories where the hero has to tiptoe around the heroine & (as the back cover says) "teach her to love again". Bah. Probably because the first time I tried reading romances, they were ALL like that. Yuck.

But I did really like Nate. :)

And Dutch & Coco--the hotel's cook and the Calhoun sisters' aunt. They made the book. Just so cute--I know I've complained before about couples arguing and that meaning they're in love, but this pair made it work.

Then there was Baxter Dumont, Suzanna's ex-husband, and the father of Megan's child, who abandoned and rejected them.... What a nasty, slimy..... I'd finish that, but I can't think of any words bad enough. LOVED what Aunt Colleen did to him, though. And I liked how she played matchmaker, too. Subtle.

There was very little of the ancestor's backstory in this one, but we do find out that Fergus suffered. I was glad to hear that. He deserved it, and there was a nice satisfying poetic justice there.

...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?