.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 16, 2007

I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry



**** I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. Comedy.

Directed by: Dennis Dugan.
Starring: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Jessica Biel, Dan Ackroyd, Ving Rhames, Steve Buscemi




We saw this at the Hercules with the boys.

Firefighters Chuck (Adam Sandler) and Larry (Kevin James) are best friends. Chuck is a very single womanizer; Larry is a widower with two kids who never dates. When Larry finds out that since he didn't update his paperwork soon enough after his wife's death, his kids won't be able to get his pension if something happens to him (yeah, I found that a little hard to swallow, too, but what the heck--the reason isn't the point), he comes up with the idea of posing as a gay couple--the new relationship would give him a bureaucratically-approved reason to change his paperwork.

The city official in charge of such things is suspicious, and investigates them, and they hire a lawyer (Jessica Biel) to help them out.

In the meantime, they have to deal with Chuck's withdrawal from his addiction to women, which isn't helped any by his attraction to their lawyer, and discrimination from their fellow firefighters.

Dan Ackroyd is fabulous as the fire chief, and Ving Rhames as a firefighter inspired to come out of the closet by Chuck and Larry's example is over-the-top but good-naturedly funny.

This is, I think, a good example of how expectations affect enjoyment of a movie. I expected goofy, low-brow humor, and I found Chuck and Larry better than I'd expected. The friendship between the two men was realistic and poignant, and there was definitely a message of tolerance. Both of them, and their firefighter pals as well all end up better people at the end of the movie.

However, this movie is in no way meant to be the defining movie of LGBT rights. It's not a serious movie. It's not about gays in general. It's about these two friends. And on that level, it succeeds very well.

And in fact, it also succeeds in its message of tolerance--in the same way that Blazing Saddles tackles racism: by ridiculing the intolerant.


...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I'm waiting from Netflix to see this movie too. Sound like you had fun watching it...as I hope I get the same feeling too LOL

I must say, wow you've been busy with lot of reading and watching movies...you posted lot of books and movies review that you've delay for long time :)
 
I saw this movie with my niece Trish at home from Netflix last night(Thur. 11-29-07), and she have laugh through out the whole movie. She love it. I in another have a good reason why I fell asleep during the 45 minute of watching the movie. That same day, I had to babysit the 3 year old at 8AM in the morning. I'm not an early bird. SO I was very tired when I was watching the movie.

Tonight, am gonna watch where I left off. And Trish want to watch it again with me. So far I like the movie. I Probably have the same thought you did about the movie, Darla :)
 
{{{hugs}}} I know how that is. We were going to watch a movie last night, but I was so tired from getting up early all week, I had to take a rain check, or I'd have fallen asleep in the middle of it, too. :)

Hope you enjoy the rest of it!
 
I finally watch it with Trish, and I find the movie were funny. Adam Sandler was funny as his best. And that Kevin James made a good duet with him (friendship speaking hehe). I laugh couple time in some scenes, like when Larry worn the apple costume and need to use restroom..LOL

Trish love the movie so much she watched it 4 times, before I unplug it from DVD player so that I can return it back to Netflix and get the next movie in my queues..lol

I hope you don't over tired yourself and get good rest up :)
 
4 times?! I guess she really, really liked it!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?