.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Voyeur


****½ Voyeur by Lacey Alexander. Romantic erotica.









I admit, I read this book solely for the Cherry Forums Book Club. Voyeurism isn't my kink, and I expected to find it entertaining (Cherry books are always well-written), but not to love it. I should have known better. Voyeurism still isn't my kink in real life, but for the space of this book, I was convinced. By the way, the Cherry Forums Book Club of Voyeur has been over for a while--you can tell how far behind I am--but you can read the discussion here.

Mystery writer Laura Watkins has writer's block. So she jumps at the chance to spend some time in a secluded mountain cabin belonging to a friend of a friend. Late the first night, she's still blocked, and decides to spend some time alone with her fantasies. She knows the owner has set up a webcam to keep an eye on the house, but decides he wouldn't be watching that late, anyway. And even if he is.... well, just the thought of it is tantalizing.

The next morning, she gets an IM from Flyboy, and sure enough, the cabin's owner, corporate raider Braden Stone, had seen her last night. She's simultaneously embarrassed, intrigued, and turned-on, and they begin a cyber-affair.

Laura's getting squicked by the whole thing, but she's also hooked and very aroused, and her writing is flowing faster than ever before. Still, her sensible side tells her it's time to either stop or move on to the next level--in person.

Which ratchets up the heat even more.

Braden pushes the edges of Laura's comfort envelope, but never crosses the line into coercion.

What made Voyeur really stand out wasn't the sexual acts themselves--it was the emotions and how it changed Laura's, and to a lesser extent, Braden's lives. I appreciated Laura's realistic reactions, and particularly the notion that the affair could only go so far online and that to progress, they had to meet in person.

The mystery novel was also a nice part--the events in the novel Laura was writing echoed the events in her life, and illuminated them. Very nicely done.

As for the not-my-kink issue--it takes skill to write sex scenes that will be hot to someone who doesn't share the fantasy. I think the key here is that Laura's character is written so clearly that we know how everything makes her feel, and those emotions and sensations are passed on to the reader.

I'll be looking for more Lacey Alexander books, as well as those by her alter-ego, Toni Blake.

ETA: Oh! I have read a story by Toni Blake, here (#5). I gave it "points for inventiveness in the sex scenes." Heh.

...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I been sorta waiting for your review on Voyeur and now that I read it(your review) with good grade, I think I get this book. I had no idea that Lacey Alexander is Toni Blake! Interesting twist ;)
 
I am intrigued by your review! I have a Toni Blake (Swept Away- initially for the gorgeous cover) on my paperbackswap wishlist. I might have to add this one too.
 
I hope you're not out of town . . .

I need you to weigh in on my Smart Bitches Day post tomorrow!

Hope all is well with you :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?