.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, April 02, 2007

A Dose of Murder


*** A Dose of Murder by Lori Avocato. Mystery.









I got this one signed in a charity auction a while back--I'm not sure which one.

This is the first book in a mystery series featuring burned-out-nurse turned insurance investigator Pauline Sokol.

Pauline Sokol (yeah, she refers to herself by both first and last names quite a bit--it got a little annoying) decides she's got to quit nursing before she gives in to the temptation to take a poke at one of those irritating little kids. So, she calls in a favor and gets a job as an insurance investigator.

The first case she's sent on, she ends up having to go undercover... as a nurse.

It's a fun story. It would be even more fun if I hadn't read Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. This is just too much of the same. The similarities--the slimy boss, the sexy mysterious mentor, the cross-dressing co-worker, etc., etc.--were distracting to the point that they interfered with enjoying the book.

What was good was the realistic medical details, and the convoluted mystery, especially once Pauline's casual boyfriend gets a job at the medical center she's investigating.

I believe I have the second book in the series in my TBR pile. I'm crossing my fingers that the annoying/distracting bits were confined to the first book.

...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?