.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, November 16, 2006

TT #29



Thirteen Things We "Know"


Oh, this was fun. I found way more than 13, so I'll probably do a part 2 another week. Click on the links for the real story.

  1. Sugar in a gas tank will destroy a car's engine. I sure thought so--it shows up on TV shows an awful lot. http://www.snopes.com/autos/grace/sugar.asp

  2. An international drivers license will save you from the consequences of a bad driving record. This one was really prevalent over here, where servicemembers & families do need international drivers licenses to drive in other countries. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/license.asp

  3. Red cars get more speeding tickets than other cars. We got told this all the time when we bought our red Mustang. The only cars we've gotten speeding tickets in were a blue one and a gold one. http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp

  4. Seat belts will trap you in a vehicle in case of fire or water. Yeah, I always thought this one was a crock, but I have relatives who adamantly believe it. http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/seatbelt.asp

  5. Chevy Nova sold poorly in Mexico because the name means "no go" in Spanish. I'd heard this years ago, and never thought to disbelieve it. http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

  6. Thomas Crapper invented the toilet. Say something often enough... http://www.snopes.com/business/names/crapper.asp

  7. German chocolate cake is German. It's not. But my mom was really disappointed when she first visted us here and she couldn't get "authentic" German chocolate cake. http://www.snopes.com/business/names/cake.asp

  8. Some college library is sinking because the architects forgot to figure in the weight of the books. I've heard this one several times. Usually, it's the library at a rival school, but the first time I heard it was when I worked at the grad library at U of M and was told by co-workers that it was sinking. http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/sinking.asp

  9. Rice thrown at weddings is dangerous to birds. Everybody knows this. Right? http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp

  10. A dog's age, multiplied by 7, gives its equivalent human age. I suspect this was a way to get kids to memorize their multiplication tables--as kids, we spent an awful lot of time figuring out how old our dogs and our friends' dogs and our neighbors' dogs and hypothetical dogs were. http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/dogyears.htm

  11. The 5-second rule. I never really believed it, but it's a handy fiction when you've got kids. http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/dropped.asp

  12. Suicide rates increase at Christmas. This one gets repeated every year. I've seen it in books, on TV shows, even in the news. http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/suicide.asp

  13. Poinsettias are toxic. Has anyone with small children not been cautioned about this? http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/poinsettia.asp

Gotta love Snopes. I'd look up corroborating evidence, but I've spent enough time on this already. Besides, the point was not to believe everything you hear.



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

  1. Candy Minx: Plato's Cave
  2. where Amy wants to go on vacation
  3. Caylynn: military assignments
  4. Silver: newspaper headlines
  5. Sweet Kitty: schöne Blumen
  6. Carmen: Thanksgiving
  7. books May wants
  8. about Sanni
  9. Ma: Hawaiian slide show
  10. the view from Barb's desk
  11. Ghost: Fattoush salad
  12. Angela James: comfort reads
  13. Cheysuli's taking a break
  14. Julia: booking through Thursday
  15. Annie: being a beach bum
  16. Domestic Goddess: not your usual Thanksgiving list
  17. what/who Miranda can't live without
  18. what Jaci Burton's thankful for
  19. Colleen Gleason: Trixie Belden vs. Nancy Drew
  20. Tink: sports
  21. Jenny Ryan's favorite sites
  22. Melody's recent book buys
  23. Doug & Rachel Ray
  24. Scribbit: cruising
  25. N. Mallory: risk assessment
  26. Norma: learning disability
  27. You're next!


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Categories:

Labels:


Comments:
this was wonderful...thanks for the informative post..haha
 
Great list! Amazing how so many urban legends become accepted as "truth".

I never believed the 5 second rule myself. They tested this "myth" on one episode of "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel. Needless to say, the myth was "busted" ie. proven to be a myth, and not true at all.

Thanks for sharing. A great idea for a list, and very entertaining. :) Happy T13. :)
 
This is a great list, lots of fun reading all the facts :) Happy TT!
 
Nette Liste!
Macht Spaß sie zu lesen!
Happy TT aus dem Ruhrgebiet,
Sonny
 
all the weddings I've been to recently throws bird seed. :)
 
Happy TT! I have to use that sugar trick in one of my books sometime. LOL.
 
Nicely done! A great and very entertaining TT - nothing more to say :)

Happy TT form Germany (as well),

S.
 
That was a great and interesting 13! Thanks for the info.

thanks for stopping by.
 
Thanks for going to all the work you did to put up a great TT!
 
Because you 'asked,' Darla, I've edited my post to explain why you should add the books to my list. ;)

I'm a very nice and friendly blogger, don't you think?
 
EEek!

That should you, I've edited my TT to tell you why you should add my wish list books to YOUR wishlist. ;)
 
Oh, thanks so much, May. :-/
 
What a great list! I wish everyone would use Snopes (especially before forwarding emails!)
 
I've seen far more sophisticated tables about dog and cat ages now, but even vets approximated that way, once the dog was past about two years...
 
WOW I learn something every days! Thank for the list of fun facts! :)
 
What a great TT! And I love Snopes! You learn all sorts of interesting stuff there.
 
I love snopes!
 
Lol...great tidbits...did you know I think it was Arnold Titslinger that invented the bra?
 
Snopes is a lifesaver. I only wish those forwarding all that warning 'spam' would read it first.

Ugh.

Great post!
 
Wow! What a great list. Thanks for debunking some of those myths. You're right...there are probably more than enough for a few more TTs.
 
Very interesting list! I'll have to read some more on Snopes.com
Thanks for visiting my TT.
 
My husband loves de-bunking things too!
 
Interesting facts + links, Darla! Well done.
 
Does this mean I have to stop repeating these things to anyone who will listen? And the one about Jamie Lee Curtis being a hermaphrodite, too?

My 13 are up: 13 things I'd like to do in the kitchen with Rachel Ray. Yeah, I could do another 13 on this topic, too.
 
I love this list, different and creative!
 
I also have a red car and never got any speeding tickets yet (knock on wood) so I'm happy that story doesn't work for me :)
Great TT and thanks for visiting mine!
 
Huh.
 
A great list--I think I believed a lot of them. I'll think more about it now.

My TT is up.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?