.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, November 04, 2006


***** Die Hard. Action.

Directed by: John McTiernan
Starring: Bruce Willis, Alan Rickman







This wasn't by any means a critical viewing. I watched the video over several days while exercising.

In case you've never seen this one--and it's really a classic, so unless you don't watch action movies at all, you really should see it--Bruce Willis is John McClane, a NYC cop in LA to spend Christmas with his kids and estranged wife. At her office Christmas party in a big office building, he's freshening up in the bathroom when terrorists, led by Alan Rickman's character, take over.

Since hardly anyone knows he's there, it's up to McClane to save the day. Tons of action, a good dose of humor, and even some realistic emotional stuff. This movie doesn't miss a beat.

Most action movies... heck, most movies period... skimp somewhere. They'll focus on the action scenes and neglect the plot, or the emotional stuff will be tacked on as an afterthought, or any one of a number of other complaints. This one doesn't do that. Everything's well balanced and logical and just sucks you right in.

From the walking-on-glass scene that I can never watch (ouch, ouch, ouch) to the good-hearted but not terribly gung-ho beat cop to the dozens of great quotes, there's too much I like about this movie to list it all.

I was impressed with the portrayal of Holly, John's wife (played by Bonnie Bedelia). I don't like her in the beginning, but later on, she shows her character, and you can see what John sees in her. This is highly unusual in action movies--mostly, the women are inexplicable.

And the terrorists. I loved the terrorists. That doesn't sound right. I loved that they were thieves, not ideologues. It was such a great twist, and so very believable. And Alan Rickman does evil so well.

And of course, it's got both Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman from my short list. I'd probably enjoy this even if it wasn't such a good movie.

...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I haven't seen this, but a name popped out. Bonnie Bedelia. In 1960 I was out of work for a few weeks and watch a soap opera. She played a teen-ager, although I think she would have been 12. Always noticed her when she'd pop up after that. Never a big star, however.
 
Funny how some actors just stick in your mind, isn't it? I always noticed Kim Delaney after watching All My Children one semester in college with my roommate.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?