.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, October 26, 2006



Since today is author Jim Butcher's birthday, and he's considerately written 13 books, this week's TT is:

Favorite Quotes from Jim Butcher's Books


  1. Storm Front:
    • Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
    • I'd made the vampire cry. Great. I felt like a real superhero. Harry Dresden, breaker of monsters' hearts.

  2. Fool Moon:
    • So I, uh, sort of threw myself out of the passenger seat of a moving car. Don't look at me like that. I'm telling you, it made sense at the time.
    • That was black magic, and it was easy to use. Easy and fun. Like Legos.

  3. Grave Peril:
    • "'Holy shit,' I breathed. 'Hellhounds.'
      'Harry,' Michael said sternly. 'You know I hate it when you swear.'
      'You're right. Sorry. Holy shit,' I breathed. 'Heckhounds'".
    • I'd hate to find out that the universe really wasn't conspiring against me.

  4. Summer Knight:
    • It rained toads the day the White Council came to town.
    • I don't believe in faeries!
    • "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!"

  5. Death Masks:
    • "Sleep is god. Go worship."
    • "Leaping tall buildings in a single bound. I should probably put on some underwear."
    • I'm a disciple of the Tao of Peter Parker, obviously.

  6. Blood Rites:
    • The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.
    • "You always a wiseass?" "No. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    • An errand is getting a tank of gas or picking up a carton of milk or something. It is not getting chased by flying purple pyromaniac gorillas hurling incendiary poo.
    • What can I say, inspiring anger is my gift. I have a responsibility to use it wisely.

  7. Dead Beat:
    • Life is a journey. Time is a river. The door is ajar.
    • Polka will never die!
    • That sounds like a plan. I just wish it sounded like a winning plan.

  8. Proven Guilty:
    • This is what happens when I don't wear the coat. People start thinking I'm not a superhero.
    • Let he who hath never stonewashed his jeans cast the first stone.
    • Hey! Are you selling me on eBay?

  9. White Night:
    • I. Am not. Yoda.

  10. Furies of Calderon:
    • "Are you all right?" Amara whispered.
      "Fine. Apart from being beaten, capture, and scheduled for torture and interrogation. You're the one who should be worried."
      Amara swallowed. "Why me?"
      "I think this can safely be considered a failing mark in your graduation exercise."

  11. Academ's Fury:
    • "I wanted a horse."
    • "I'm going to get a decent b-b-breakfast if it kills me."
      "Oh. You're doing pretty well then."
    • "I like complaining. It's every soldier's sacred right."

  12. Cursor's Fury:
    • “Regulations are regulations,” Max said, his tone pious. “Besides. If you’d been awake, you’d have complained too much.”
      “I thought it was every soldier’s sacred right,” Tavi said.
      “Every soldier, yes sir. But you’re an officer, sir.”

  13. The Darkest Hours:
    • All I know is that every time I walk into a gymnasium, I get hit with a rush of memories from my own days of high school. Some people call that phenomenon "nostalgia." I call it "nausea."
    • "Peter," she said, "I know that in your head, you just said something that conveyed actual information. But when it got to your mouth, it grew fur, beat its chest, and started howling at the moon."

Note: the first 9 books are (in that order) a series about a wizard detective, soon to be a TV series on the SciFi channel. The next 3 (again, in order) are a fantasy series. The last book is a Spider-Man book.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!

  1. Mar's real name
  2. Caylynn's missing her husband
  3. Carmen: ghost stories
  4. Slackermommy: costumes
  5. Shannon: Halloween facts
  6. The Imperfect Christian: fashion-challenged (I'm not alone!)
  7. Ma: reminscences
  8. Candy Minx: lists
  9. Racy Li: preview lines
  10. Tink: Halloween facts
  11. Nicole: flowers
  12. Ghost: things she says
  13. Heather Harper: scary movies
  14. Doug: memories of Jake
  15. Chaotic Mom: office detritus
  16. Laura: love
  17. Jaci Burton: indulgences
  18. Colleen Gleason: songs
  19. Just Expressing Myself's week
  20. Norma: library sale
  21. N. Mallory: househunting
  22. Cheysuli: not a pig
  23. Tracie went to the fair
  24. KTCat: seed racing (an addiction that can ruin your life!)
  25. Friday's Child: A - M at work
  26. Sparky: Samhain facts
  27. You're next!


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



Categories:

Labels:


Comments:
Those are great! :) I'll have to check out his books - it sounds like I would probably enjoy them. Love the quote about soldiers - hubby always says that if soldiers aren't complaining, then there's something wrong. ;) Also love the Lego and Yoda quotes. :)

Thanks for stopping by. Hubby had a nice, long list of items to pick up in Canada that we can't find here in Germany - including running shoes for me, since I have a VERY wide foot and haven't been able to find any shoes that fit here. (They make wide - D width shoes for women here, but I haven't been able to find any of the extra wide - 2E width - that I wear).

Happy TT. :)
 
those are funny, looks like I found a new author to read!
 
Thanks for the book suggestions!
 
Wow! Never heard of this guy, but sounds like a good writer.

Happy Thursday!
 
I've never heard of this author, but I'm certainly putting one or two of these on my reading list! Especially Grave Peril!
 
This was great! Very entertaining. :)

Thanks for stopping by.
 
I have never read or heard of this writer...but you have made me want to. Well done, some of those are so wonderful, I already feel like I love the character. Reminds me of Kinky Friedman mysteries and a little like a line from Evanovitch: if breasts were money she'd be Bill Gates.

Happy Thursday, it's almost the weekend!!!

Candy

http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2006/10/top-100-art-players.html
 
That sounds like an author I need to know more about!
Thanks for stopping by!
 
I love Butcher's books. I can't wait to read Cursor's Fury in December.
 
Sounds like my kind of smart ass.
 
I hadn't heard of this guy but these quotes are great. Where should I start -- which book, I mean?
 
They're in order, Doug. Well, more or less. Storm Front through White Night are a wizard detective series. The Fury books are fantasy. The last one's a Spider-Man book.
 
These are GREAT! I don't know if I've read any of these books, but I'm now interested. Especially with the last quote. Very descriptive.

I've posted my Thursday Thirteen, too. Enjoy! ;)
 
how thoughtful of him to write thirteen!
i especially liked the quote from fool moon. i will have to check out these books. thanks for this list and thank you for visiting mine this week.
 
Omg I love these! I can't believe I haven't read him yet.

*slaps self silly*
 
These sound great! I'll definitely have to check them out. Even my dh might like them.

Loved the one about throwing oneself out of the car. LOL.
 
Number 3 is my favorite.
Now I'm going to have to choose one of those books to be my next read.
Thanks for sharing,
Frances
 
This may be as close as I get to this author--thanks for the head's up.

Thanks for visiting my TT
 
I've never read any of these, but now I must.

I love "Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." Am going to make it one of my Quotes of the Day.
 
My human is so going to have to find this author and read him...
 
What a great idea for a TT. I will have to check out this author!

My TT is up!
 
Polka will never die? Great quote! Thanks for visiting my TT, too.
 
Great quotes. Will keep in mind.
Thanks for dropping by. I do appreciate it a lot.
 
ohhhh new author to put on my must read list. remind me in about 6 months would ya LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?