.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, October 20, 2006



**** The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis. Juvenile fiction. Re-read.








I couldn't find a picture of the cover of my copy--unsurprising, since it's about 20 years old, and the Narnia books have been reprinted so many times, particularly since the recent movie.

I put the series in my TBR pile when it dawned on me that I'd never read them. My kids have, and I'd read this one aloud to them several times, but it seemed like a cultural thing I was missing out on, so in they went. The Lemony Snicket books are in there, too.

I have no idea what to say about The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe that hasn't been said. I don't even know how I feel about it, because the story's so very familiar. There's the heavy-handed Christian allegory, I suppose, which doesn't take much to uncover. And there's really not a lot of depth to it, nor are the characters all that well-developed.

But it is, after all, a children's story, a fast-moving tale of adventure and imagination, and Good vs. Evil. Hopefully, I'll have more to say on the subsequent books, which are new to me.

One aside: reading this always brings to mind my daughter's kindergarten best friend, who maintained that she did have a doorway to Narnia in her bedroom closet. This frustrated my realist daughter no end, because she couldn't convince her friend that it was just a story.

...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I reread this series late last year, early this year. Actually I had only previously one of the books so it was a lovely journey to go through and read them all this time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?