.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, October 03, 2006


****½ Betrayal in Death by J. D. Robb. Futuristic romantic suspense. Re-read.









This is #... what? 11th, I think, story in the series. And I've read it... 3 times? 4? I donno. So what's left to say about it? The last time I read it (#41), I gave it 5 stars, but I didn't say why.

There is a lot to love in Betrayal in Death. We've got a professional assassin, which is always fun, and we meet somebody new from Roarke's past, and there's a big ol' speedbump in the middle of the road to romantic bliss for Peabody and McNab, which made me (and Eve!) want to smack them both upside the head, but it was just so realistic, I could feel for both of them. And there's betrayal (you could probably guess that, given the title) and redemption. Very satisfying.

What keeps it from being 5 stars, at least on this re-read, is that I just can't buy the motive. I mean... ****Huge, major spoiler--do not read if you haven't read the book**** Killing people... not just killing them, but spending a couple million apiece to have them killed, for the purpose of possibly distracting Roarke so you can pull off a heist?? I'm just not buying it. Even if they're cold enough not to mind killing, I'm sure there's some cheaper, easier, and probably even more effective distraction they could have used.****


...more


Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?