.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, July 04, 2006


***** The Adventuress by Carole Nelson Douglas. Mystery. Re-read.










This is a re-read--I read it in its previous incarnation as Good Morning, Irene. Having left the rest of the series in the States, and, yes, I confess, not having paid attention to the fact that it's a reprint (reissue? I always get those mixed up.), I took it as an excuse to reacquaint myself with Irene & co.

This is such a fun series. I thoroughly enjoy Irene, the unconventional singer who solves mysteries, her patient and clever husband Godfrey, and particularly Nell, the narrator, and Irene's strait-laced parson's daughter companion.

Nell's personality is a wonderful lens through which to view the action--she's a decidedly imperfect narrator, and it's entertaining to read between her lines. In a non-spoilery example, Nell comes up with reasons why Irene and Godfrey are so exhausted they need to take a mid-day nap.

In The Adventuress, Godfrey saves a young woman from drowning herself from the ruin of having been abducted and tatooed, only to find that two days later, she's missing, presumed dead, and her aunt is suspected of the murder.

The case leads the three to Monaco, and a decades-old story of shipwreck, hidden treasure, and a shadowy figure behind it all who wants the treasure all for himself. Irene may be the nominal star of the series, but the mystery wouldn't have been solved without the talents of Godfrey and Nell.

I'm glad I picked this one up. It's been too long since I've read this series.

...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?