.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, June 08, 2006



Thirteen Exercise Videos

I frankly have no idea how my husband does it: the same weights at the same gym, then the same 3 miles on the same trails 4 or 5 times a week. Or, even worse, the treadmill at the gym if the weather's bad. I need variety. That sameness would drive me insane. Or, more likely, I'd find it much easier to just avoid exercising altogether, which would be A Bad Thing.

So, I have a pretty good selection of exercise books, videos, and routines clipped from when I subscribed to Shape, and I exercise 5 or 6 times a week, something different every day.

These are just the videos:

  1. Abs Abs Abs. Tamilee Webb, who's kind of scary-looking. I think I was expecting a more rounded workout, but I'm not real fond of this one.

  2. Basic Training with Ada Janklowicz. I actually taped this from AFN back in the late '80s. It's a decent, basic half-hour workout with low-impact aerobics and weights. And because I have a whole tape-ful, it doesn't get boring.

  3. Buns of Steel Yoga. A little easier than the other yoga tape, but otherwise quite similar. It did surprise me that yoga could get your heart pounding.

  4. Callanetics. I don't actually have this video anymore--I gave it to a friend years ago. I think I have the book somewhere, but I never look at it. I've been doing these for so long that I do it from memory. It's all tiny precise movements--form is essential, and it doesn't need any special equipment. It's what I do on vacation.

  5. Cindy Crawford's Shape Your Body Workout. Thank goodness I already know weightlifting technique, because you'd never learn it from this. But let's face it--nobody really intended this to be an actual workout video, did they? I mean, one you'd do exercise along with? Arching your back while lifting weights is generally considered Not A Good Idea. It does, however, showcase her figure. It's a challenging workout, as long as you ignore her form how she does the exercises.

  6. Crunch: Best Abs and Arms. The instructor is a little hyper, and grates a bit, but I like the combination moves that work more than one muscle group at a time. You've got to pay close attention to form, again, and I like that.

  7. It Figures with Charlene Prickett. This is the first exercise show I taped from AFN in the mid-80's. Interesting seeing the website--she's certainly changed. Calisthenics, with occasional wrist or ankle weights, and a short, 10-minute burst of high-impact aerobics. It's a little dated, with some things that are really not good news, like wearing weights while doing the aerobics. I like the personality, though, and it's okay once in a while. I have most of a tape-ful, so dozens of episodes.

  8. Kathy Smith: Functionally Fit. I like the aerobic interval training in this one, but the cool-down intervals are all about thigh work. My thigh muscles are big enough, thanks. I don't do this one too frequently.

  9. Kathy Smith's Winning Workout. This one is my favorite. An hour long, with challenging aerobics, weight training, and an emphasis on form.

  10. Pilates All In One Workout. This is long, and includes a few aerobics intervals with horribly confusing jazz dance steps. I suppose if I did it every day, I'd eventually get the hang of them, but I don't, so I don't. I do love the pilates mat work, though. I've got a Pilates book, which I like more than the video. I love the idea of strengthening the core muscles, which is something I tend to incorporate in other exercise routines.

  11. Power Yoga for Beginners with Rodney Yee. This is another one I'd do better if I did it more often. As it is, I spend more energy trying to follow the directions than I do on the actual exercise.

  12. Slimline set of videos. I have #1 - #4: Start-Up to Fitness, Calorie Burner, Bottoms Hips & Thighs, and Tummy & Upper Body. They're cute workouts. Not too terribly challenging, but not bad. And how can you help but be motivated when a British-accented voice tells you to "clench your buttocks nice and tightly"?

  13. Super Workout. That link is the closest I could get--mine's from 1986. Another all-around combo. I like the instructor. But the fact that the video was made by Esquire makes me wonder if this is another one designed for watching rather than doing exercising with.


Postscript:
I said I wasn't going to blog about CFS, and I'm not, but the CFS is largely why I have so many exercise videotapes rather than switching to DVDs. I increase the amount of exercise I do a little bit at a time (I'm up to 26 minutes now! Go me!), and a tape lets me stop at one point and pick it up at the exact same point the next day.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Coffee Addict
2. Lazy Daisy
3. Urban Mummy
4. One Scrappy Gal
5. Carmen
6. Snarky Pants
7. Karen
8. K T Cat
9. Mar
10. Friday's Child
11. Kate R
12. Doug
13. e
14. Janice




Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!






Categories:

Labels:


Comments:
That list scared me. There's something in my mind that makes me think that diets and exercise videos are for other people, disciplined, organised people. My methods of staying healthy are much more haphazard, e.g. walking fast because I'm late to collect the 5-year-old from nursery.
 
excellent list! have the Cindy Crawford video as well! :) i need a variety as well! Check out Tae-bo, i am now addicted to it :) it is the best workout by far and you could never be bored!
 
Wow, what a list...great variety.
 
I have a few of those, I think. Haven't looked at them in years, though. Do you actually use them? If so, good on you!!!
 
Any suggestions for a beginner like me with two young kids? That I can do at home on the days I can't get to the gym?

I'm with you.. I get bored with the sameness too. I need variety also.
 
I have a good Pilates abs video I just started using. can I just say "ow"?
 
Laura: Oh, well, diets are for very organized people. I do videos because I'm not organized enough to get exercise any other way.

Coffee addict: Tae-bo? Hmm. I'll have to check it out. It's been a while since I bought myself a new exercise video. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lazy daisy: Thanks. That was the point. :)

Mummy: Yep. Ironically, though, I'm being a slug today. And all this posting about exercise videos is making me feel really guilty about that. *sigh*

One Scrappy Gal: Well, it depends on what kind of exercise you like/are used to, and what stuff you have at home. I love the Callanetics, because I can do it anywhere, and it's not one where you have to worry about tripping over the kids. We have a picture of my daughter doing them with me when she was 4.
 
Carmen: OW. :)
 
I never could get the hang of exercise videos. And I definitely get bored easily so I'd have to switch around a lot.

And where are the Richard Simmons videos, hmmmm????

Enjoy your thursday!
 
good for you! I get bored... probably why I never stick with any of it. and I love your book reviews- I'm going to have to stop by & browse...
 
I'm with you. If it isn't interesting, I can't do it. Basketball is my current workout. My TT is up.
 
Lisa: Amazingly, I've never bought a Richard Simmons video. He scares me a little.

Karen: Oh, please do. I love to talk books. :)

K T Cat: I'm impressed. I'm terrible at any sport that involves a ball.
 
Interesting list. More than that: I am impressed you actually do your workout at home with them!! Hut ab! I have maybe 8 DVD's around but I don't have the discipline to do the exercises at home. Thanks for the inspiration, should look for my dvd's...tomorrow! happy tt!
 
That's a very informative list. Honestly, I hate exercises.
My T13 is up too.
 
Your list makes me tired . . .I hope that counts as some kind of exercise?

Mine are up, but you know that because you visited! Thank you.
 
Oh, and I just read that Loretta Chase! It wasn't my favorite of hers but Chase on an off day is still fantastic.

I really like that series about the professional assassin too. ummm Book of Jhereg
 
I'm with your husband on this. Routine rocks!

So -- you didn't like my Elmo Trampoline?
 
Okay - blogger comment back on-line - yeah.
Those are great tips. I need something to do at home - the women's gym I used to belong to, closed - nuts. I really enjoyed the Pilates class though - it is a great workout :).
Thank you for stopping by.
BTW - I see you are in Germany (my home-country). Are your German or are you just on-base?
 
Mar: Vielen dank. For me, it takes much less discipline to exercise at home than to go out and do something--whatever works, right?

Kate: Good to know about the Loretta Chase--I haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm in the middle of the Jhereg books--great stuff. The tone is not unlike Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, who I adore.

Doug: *rolling my eyes*

e: as a simple question, get... a complex answer. My husband is German--his family all lives here: mom, brother, nieces, etc. He joined the U.S. army & immigrated to the U.S., but he's spent more than half his career here--being bilingual, it's easy for him to convince them to let him stay. So we're here as Americans, but we don't live on post.

Janice: {{{hugs}}} Believe me, I've worked up to this level of exercise v e r y s l o w l y --starting with a minute a day--I am not kidding. I've had some periods where getting from the bed to the bathroom was nearly impossible, but thankfully, that's a rarity.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?