.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, June 11, 2006

***** The Lion's Daughter by Loretta Chase. Historical romance.

*sigh* I knew this was going to happen once I started getting low on my flea-market finds. A greater percentage of the books in my TBR pile are ones I bought because I was pretty sure I was going to love them--they were must-buys. And so I'm reading a whole bunch of 5-star reads in a row. (It'll be even more apparent when I finish the Steven Brust omnibus I've been alternating with other books.) I hate spending money on books I don't expect to like, and the incredible hassle of the libraries here makes them less attractive than buying the books, but I'm going to have to do something.

Anyway, as is no doubt obvious from the 5 stars, I loved The Lion's Daughter. It takes place largely in Albania, and there's spying and political intrigue and family intrigue and a hero and heroine who don't believe they're worthy of each other. Characters grow and change; their motives are understandable and supported by their personalities. There's no superman hero here who rescues the dainty heroine, and yet he has strengths of his own, though he has to work to find them.

It's also worth noting that the sex scenes are very sensual. I'm known for skimming sex scenes, but these were both necessary to the story, showing changes in the relationship, and well-written: they felt sensual, as I said, rather than crude or forced.

The Lion's Daughter is a reissue from 1992, but it's just as well I read it now. I'm not sure I'd have appreciated it as much 14 years ago.


...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?