.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, June 08, 2006

****½ Ceremony in Death by J. D. Robb. Futuristic romantic suspense. Re-read.

Yes. Yes, I am fickle. For years, I've complained and complained about this installment in the In Death series. But this time through, I decided to try to pretend I didn't know that I was going to hate it. And it worked.

There's a lot more intensity to this book than I'd remembered. Eve and Roarke are coasting along just fine, and there aren't any dramatic revelations from Eve's past. This time the emotional push comes with the development of Eve's relationship with her aide, Peabody, and with Eve's identification with one of the suspects, making her doubt her own judgment.

The mystery was quite easily solved--the problem was proving whodunit. My main complaint has always been that this book changes the rules of the world established in the previous four books in the series, by making magic real. On closer (or less cynical) inspection, only one minor point violates the world-building: a faith healer treats scratches on Eve's neck, and poof! they're gone without a trace. I'd buy a faith healer making it heal faster, but not making it disappear. The rest makes sense. To me, at least.

Which gives me an idea for another reading post. I'll have to think about it a bit.


...more

Categories: , ,

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?