.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, May 04, 2006

confusing 13



Thirteen Things I don't get.


  1. Tailgating. What do you think you're going to accomplish, riding someone's bumper? I promise you, it's not going to make them go faster. In fact, if they're like me, it's going to make them slow down.

  2. People who are simultaneously anti-abortion, anti-birth control and anti-government assistance. What do they expect poor pregnant women to do? Here's a thought-provoking post on the subject.

  3. Convoluted avoidance of lying. Frex: you go home for a quickie on your lunch hour that takes longer than expected, so you drive back to work via a different route that takes you past a client's place of business so that when you get back late, you can "truthfully" say, "I went past the client's." To me, this is worse than saying the same thing without the added driving, because both are lying, but the first adds hypocrisy to the lie. Why do people do this? Do they think God's going to buy their nitpicking?

  4. Capri pants. They cut off your leg right at the widest part, making your legs look both short and fat. Not a good look on anyone other than a 6-foot-tall 95-pound supermodel.

  5. Baking instructions on refrigerated cookie dough. Really, it should just come with a spoon.

  6. Depressing books and movies. Honest, I know that life can and often does suck. I don't need my entertainment to remind me.

  7. Spectator sports. Huh. Just don't get it.

  8. Celebrity gossip. I love movies, but I really do not care about the personal lives of the actors. In fact, I'd much rather not know about it.

  9. "Blood is thicker than water." I know people who look up distant relatives and feel an instant connection. I only feel a connection to those relatives with whom I have a shared history. I'm not alone here--Carl's never met his biological father, and isn't interested in looking him up.

  10. Pressuring kids to be in dozens of clubs, sports, and myriad other after-school activities under the guise of "getting into college." Unless you're trying to send them to an Ivy League school, most of this is pointless, and you're just asking for burnout before they even get to college.

  11. People who are rude to waiters. Do they think that will get them better service? The short periods of time I was a waiter when I was a teen, if a customer was rude, I tended to avoid them. Plus, isn't it just asking for spit in your drink...or worse?

  12. The overwhelming appeal of Scotland and/or Ireland. I don't have anything against these places, but why are so many Americans with no Scottish or Irish heritage so enthralled by them? What makes them so much more exciting than Belgium or Bulgaria or Brazil or Botswana?

  13. Parents who brag about how tall their kids are. You might as well brag about how they have brown hair or green eyes. Height is really not a virtue. It always makes me suspect that said kid is dumb as a rock, unpleasant, tone-deaf, and uncoordinated, but darn it, at least he's tall. Otherwise, why not brag about those things that are actually due to some effort on someone's part?

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Doug



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





Categories:

Labels:


Comments:
Thanks for the link to the Kristoff article. I wish folks would shout this t the rooftops -- "BUSH IS PRO-ABORTION!" The admin's policies make sense only if they really do view chastity belts as the only option.

Mine's up, but you knew that ;)
 
It was a good article, wasn't it? It's not something I haven't thought & argued & complained about before, but I like the way he wrote it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?