.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Theory # 6: The War Between the Sexes: Boys Are People, Too

I first started thinking about this back in college, one day when I was loitering around outside the student union. An ordinary-looking boy came up to me and asked me what time it was. I looked at my watch, told him the time, he thanked me, and went on his way. Pretty unremarkable. Except that before he'd asked me the time, he'd asked two other girls. They were both wearing watches and standing alone, as I was, but they both refused to answer. Not only that, they gave him looks of utter disdain.

I may have missed something, but it appeared that the only thing he did wrong was having a penis.

Now I see the daughters of women like this being taught that boys are the enemy. Boys only want one thing. Boys are loud, dirty, crude, rude animals that you might eventually use for procreation or for when your vibrator runs out of batteries, but otherwise they're pretty much useless.

How is this helping our daughters? How is this feminism? Even worse, what is this doing to our sons? Believe it or not, boys are people, too. They have feelings, hopes, and dreams, just like girls do. They're not evil incarnate. They're not all budding criminals. They're just people.

I consider myself a feminist. I think the ERA should be part of the Constitution, and that women should be legally equal to men. But I don't think that turning men into the enemy is the way to achieve it.

I was going to go into my definition of feminist, but that's another theory.

read more

Categories: ,

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?